8 January 2013

inspiration spot: the library

   Today was the first day of uni, so we have been briefed about DP project in the morning and the afternoon was free. Therefore I went to the library after lunch, and searched for interesting designers and artists. Once I am on journey of searching inspiration, it takes much longer time than I would firstly be expected.

   One of my bad habits is jumping the subject from one to another. This time was the same, although I had to look for designer/artists who I have researched before, I was excited to others as I realised. Usually, I hardly look at magazine racks on upstairs in the library and go to the PC room straightaway, but today, I did. The one I took a look was Embroidery magazine, and an article caught my eyes. It was about a freelance embroidery designer who studied embroidery at Ecole Lesage in Paris. I was kind of familiar with the name—maybe I saw the book about the school before—, but I searched it later as I wasn't sure. Actually, the world of haute couture must be like heaven, and Maison Lesage is the one who lives in there, and Ecole Lesage is a school founded by him in 1992 when I was born! The studio of Maison Lesage gets job from world's the most famous fashion designers such as Chanel and Dior, and dresses embellished with embroidery in many techniques are absolutely amazing.


   After a while, I was looking for fashion designers who made dresses inspired by tulips for some reason, then happened to know a Japanese designer Tadashi Shoji. It is embarrassing thing to know too few fashion designers although I am studying textile design, and so the discovery of new designers often happens to me. His design is elegant, no 'too much' nor 'too less' and different to other famous Japanese fashion designers. His career is interesting as well, he was originally studying contemporary art until going to NY in 1973 when he was 25. 

Tadashi Shoji Fall 2012 RTW






   Lastly I need to write about an artist, Orly Cogan. She is an unique artist who use embroidery for the major part of art work. It wasn't first time that I've seen her work online as her work is definitely found when you google images 'embroidery artist'. Although I don't really like the obvious way of showing sexualism, I think her work is beautiful. Pictorial embroidery on vintage fabric gives you impression of both new and nostalgia. 




No comments:

Post a Comment