16 February 2013

namaste India


   I'd like to introduce a book called Contemporary Indian Fashion(library catalogue number: 746.920 954 ROC) which I found in the library. The book's cover is beautiful from a textiles' point of view and this is why I borrowed it.
   Indian textile is famous for their traditional women's shawl called Sari, but their contemporary scenes of fashion and textiles haven't been internationally well known yet. To be honest, I couldn't come up with no indian textiles designers until I read this book.
   India is one of the most developing countries, and the influence can be seen in art as well as economy. In that book, almost 20 fashion designers are introduced, and most of their collections are very interesting in terms of textiles, not only fashion. The work consists of unique sense of colour, skills and influence of western culture, and it is absolutely different to any other kinds of  designers' collection.
   I felt ashamed myself having not tried to look at modern scenes of asian textiles even though I'm from asia and it seems easier to get information than people in the west. The world is much broader than I knew, and so as the fashion and textiles industry. There'll be more and more things I must see.


Right: Fall 2011, Left: Fall 2012


Right: Spring 2013, Left: Fall 2010


Spring/Resort 2011

A treader, the inspiration of the collection above
 photographed by Christian Courreges, French photographer

2 comments:

  1. Do you think they like fluorescent colours? It looks beautiful but for me it's a bit gaudy. These patterns are quite geometric, which are good though. And I prefer styles of the last two photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know! I thought his work was too decorative, but actually it's sophisticated as well. I guess Manisha Arora is no longer a local designer but an internationally successful designer, so his design is more suited international demand, and that's why he often uses white models you see..

      Delete