7 February 2015

self-directed study—am I directing myself to the right way?

This week was one of difficult weeks in my design process.
I urged myself to 'produce' and neglected to 'think', and it prevented the progress of this project as a result.

The week started with continuing work of the technical exploration that was a only successful part in this week. The focus of the exploration was changed from the stitch itself to the overall appearance, so that I can imagine those embroidery samples as products. As you can see in a couple of samples below, forms of samples started being natural that fit to the body, and it let me look into fashion context rather than interior.

 

Although the samples are successful from the technical point of view, it was doubtful if they were relevant as a part of my project. I started wondering if my technical exploration is slightly going wrong direction, as I have recently relied upon my personal 'taste' specially for material selection. It must be okay to explore around the core idea but what I have been doing seemed to be out of theme, out of control. Accordingly I decided to visualise my design process (below) and it helped me to understand the current situation.



During my tutorial, it is emphasised to look at all my drawings in order that I can identify what is successful and what is not through the reflection. The target of a coule of weeks ahead is to bring the components together and get the right direction towards the final design.

No comments:

Post a Comment