23 February 2015

development samples

Having looked at visualisation, and I started sampling this week.
Compared to the technical exploration over the last few weeks, the second phase of sampling is more straightforward as I simply mix and match the techniques and designs. The two different aspects (technical and visual) of my project are finally married this time, and I am happy with it.

For the first development sample, I chose from my drawings instead of from developed designs. This is because I aimed to develop my samples in the same way that I developed my designs, also because I still doubt if it is necessary to transform the original drawing into 'textile patterns' that we usually see.

Unlike the technical samples, the new samples were produced in a systematic way in order to translate the drawing into embroidery as precisely as possible. Accordingly machine work was needed, and it was new to this project, new to myself too. I have been interested in laser cutting since I knew about it, and I have been curious about the collaboration of hand embroidery and innovation. The attempt turned out successful, although I do need to collect right materials for the final.

Left: Adobe illustrator drawing for laser cutting  Right: Stitching a part of the sample   

Left: Original drawing  Right: Stitched sample (approx.15x24cm, painted card board, straws, beads, snaps)

                  
Left: Photoshoped visualisation of the drawing  Right: Sample on a mannequin

In later this week, I created another sample in the same style but with the different material so that I can familiarise myself with varied materials that are potential for future sampling.
The plan for the next week is the development sampling of abstract patterns, that will be followed by sampling of repeat patterns.

Left: Cork sheet being vinyl cut  Right: painted and stitched sample (approx. 9x15cm)

No comments:

Post a Comment