3 October 2013

think over lines and colour


This week I have been exploring between drawing and colour research in order to get a clear view for my own design. 
From the GSA archive I especially liked prints by Carlos Merida, a Guatemalan/Mexican artist, so I attempted to imitate his style by sketching people and redrawing them later on. I am quite happy with the drawings because they are close enough to his style but look different as the people aren't Mexican folks but Glaswegian, and also because they have potential to transform into unique geometric shapes as you can see in the bird's ruler drawing. Shamefully this is the first time to draw people and animals since I got in the art school, so it is exciting but challenging to work with them in comparison with architecture which I became used to work with.

one of Carlos Merida's prints



Not only Carlos's prints but many of Mexican folk art are painted with flat colour blocks with no shades and alternatively complex organic patterns are often applied into each block, and it makes even woodcarvings look two-dimensional. Those simple outlines and small patterns inside are the main elements which I particularly liked, and it could be a basic idea of my own design.

Oaxanan wood carving

At tutorial on Tuesday Susan made me realise that I had been keeping colour research away from drawing, so the many of my drawings are in B&W or in random colour. That's why I am rather concentrating on colour work than drawing like above for a couple of days, and once I get satisfying quality of colour I am going to start applying the colour into drawings. At the same time, I still need more variety of drawings, so that I don't limit the idea of design at this point. 


No comments:

Post a Comment