5 October 2013

once a week I feel I'm an art student


Here is a couple of drawings which I selected for this week workshop activity. The top one is 'Outlived I' and the bottom is 'Outlived II' both are done by an American artist Pat Perry in January 2012.

I wondered if they are a right choice, because the drawings are too new and so as the artist who is apparently young, and it's not been long after he's known to the world. For me, it seemed easier to focus on very famous artists from the past, so the sufficient information is on the internet and books, and the artistic styles of him/her are already discussed enough. Despite this, I liked Pat's art and a kind of philosophy belonging to him, and it made me think it is challenging but worth to research on a new artist.

A major part about him is unknown, so this is difficult to tell about 'manifest' of his work. In one of a few interviews, he answered to a question 'What are you trying to achieve with your art?'. He says his aim is to 'encourage people to look at the world in a different more beautiful way' through the art. It means his art is not only telling people the artist's aesthetics and something inside of him but asking people to feel and think by themselves.

I often have a too passive attitude towards art pieces, or oppositely I am too enthusiastic to lean something from them. However, Pat's drawings let me think in a natural way apart from academic aspects, and I think this is why his art attracted me and many other people.


No comments:

Post a Comment